Home > Programs > DUO-Sweden
DUO-Sweden : General Description
DUO-Sweden Fellowship Program was established in 2010 with the aim of promoting exchanges of people between Sweden and Asian countries (the 21 Asian countries: including Australia, Bangladesh, Brunei Darussalam, Myanmar, Cambodia, China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Kazakhstan, Korea, Laos, Malaysia, Mongolia, New Zealand, Pakistan, the Philippines, Russia, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam) on a balanced basis. In this respect, DUO-Sweden requires that a PAIR (two persons) of students be exchanged in an academic cooperative arrangement. Definitions of students are as below:
● Students: undergraduate and graduate students who are currently enrolled in universities
N.B.: All applicants shall maintain their “student status” at the time of application until the time they are engaged in the exchange, and the scholarship is only available for those who will study fulltime during their exchange period.
Due to this unique nature of this program, in order to be eligible, the following are required:
Your exchange fulfills all three requirements below:
● An educational institution in Sweden (home institution) and an educational institution in Asia (host institution) have established an academic cooperative arrangement/inter-institutional agreement; and
●The Swedish home institution has selected an EU nationalstudent enrolled at the home institution to send to the Asian host institution, and such selection has been accepted by the Asian host institution; and
● The same Asian host institution has selected an Asian student enrolled at the host institution to send to theSwedish home institution, and such selection has been accepted by the same Swedish home institution.
1.2 The Duration and the Amount of the DUO-Sweden Fellowships
DUO-Sweden 2017/2018 is for exchange projects, which will start from August 2017 and end before September 2018 to avoid duplication of implementation period of exchange projects selected by DUO-Sweden in the ensuing years. The selection of DUO-Sweden 2017/2018 is made ONLY once a year. In this respect, those who are planning to exchange in Spring Semester of 2018 (January-August 2018) shall apply for DUO-Sweden 2017/2018.
The duration of fellowship is limited to one semester (or 4 months, whichever comes earlier).
The amount of the fellowships is standardized as follows:
●3,500 Euros for Asian student and 3,500 Euros for Swedish students in a pair, in high income country. For Middle and Low income countries the Asian student get 4,000 Euros and the Swedish student get 3,000 Euros.
The duration of exchange should be at least one semester and the scholarship is only available for those studying fulltime (minimum 24 ECTS/16 weeks). Exchange of less than one semester is NOT allowed. If a semester is longer than 4 months in the visiting institution, fellowship will be given for 4 months. (A definition of fulltime study in Sweden is 30 ECTS credits per semester, which is in general 20 weeks.) In the event that a student exchange lasts for a fewer number of weeks than granted, then the scholarship will be adjusted on a pro-rata basis and repayment of the funds provided will be required.
2. Application Procedure
2.1 Who Applies?
The educational institution in Sweden applies on behalf of both institutions and people who are to participate in the exchange. Asian institutions in partnership with Sweden institutions shall cooperate fully with Swedish institutions in supplying precise information of Asian applicants. Individuals wishing to take part in exchanges are advised to contact the relevant offices (e.g. International Relations Offices) of the educational institutions to file an application for this program.
2.2 Application Period
Applications will be accepted from April 18 through May 24, 2017 local Swedish time. Applications sent or posted after May 24 will not be accepted.
2.3 Application Material for Submission
1. Filling out an Online Application Form ONLY
2. A Copy ofCooperation Agreement (or Memorandum Of Understanding for cooperation) between paired institutions OR declaration of intention to set up new cooperation agreement, signed by Head of Swedish Higher Education Institution by uploading to the website with scanned files
3. A copy ofpassport of paired applicants by uploading to the website with scanned files
4. A copy oftranscript of paired applicants by uploading to the website with scanned files (should include the grades until fall semester 2016)
※ Asian student’s total credit should be converted into ECTS upon applicant’s school grading system.
If courses listed on the application differ from the actual courses, Contact Persons or Persons of Exchange are responsible to inform the Secretariat for approval; if this procedure is not taken beforehand, fellowship award to both students is subject to cancellation and consequently refund.
An Online application form for DUO-Sweden can be found on the ASEM-DUO website at http://www.asemduo.org
Enter your password with the minimum information of the contact person in Home University.
Home institution should fill out the whole application including the information of Host Institution. Application From in PDF format can be downloaded from the ASEM-DUO website (http://www.asemduo.org) at the banner of Applications & Forms.
Once completed, please make it sure to submit your application by clicking “submit” button. Home Institution should get a confirmation email from thesecretariat within 3 days after completion of submission. If you don’t get a confirmation email, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org promptly.
The rest of the documents (cooperation agreement, passport copy, and transcript) can be uploaded in the last step of the application process.
2.4 How and When is Selection Made
A Swedish Selection Committee, organized by the Swedish Council for Higher Education (UHR), will make the selection after the application deadline. The decision will be announced in June 2017. Selection criteria are at the discretion of the Swedish Selection Committee.
The notification will be displayed on website, www.asemduo.org and the Secretariat will directly notify Contact Persons in writing. Hard copies of notification and Letter of Acceptance (forms are also available at www.asemduo.org) will be forwarded to both home and host institutions. Contact Persons may download forms of Letter of Acceptance, if they so wish.
May - June
2. Cooperation Agreement
3. Copies of Passport
Selection Committee organized by Swedish UHR
l Email & Hard Copies of Notification
The DUO-Sweden Fellowship will be paid directly by the Secretariat to the bank accounts of selected students who participate in the exchange program. There are no restrictions in using the fellowship. It can finance the tuition, and living or travel expenses.
3.Instruction for Application Form
3.1 Language of Application
You should write your application in English.
3.2 Structure of the Application Form
3.2.1 Page 1 : Home Institution
The first box of ID number and Date of submission is for the use of the secretariat only. Please, start from filling out information of Home Institution.
● Address means a full detailed one which is not only for domestic post but also for overseas post. Do not write the post-office box number and City Name must be written.
● CONTACT PERSON means a regular staff of Swedish university or institution which arranges exchange project and is willing to communicate with the Secretariat in such events as verifying application details, transferring fellowship, monitoring exchanges and providing further information on the status of the exchange.
● PERSON OF EXCHANGE shall be any Swedish (or EU national) student who will participate in the exchange.
● ECTS means a whole ECTS that a Swedish student has earned since he/she entered the Swedish university or institution.
● Click the box for Grade and find how many years (1-6) a Swedish student has accomplished so far (including the spring semester 2017) at Home Institution. Master/Ph. D course student must click Graduate under numbers.
N.B.: For each pair of an exchange, the exchange period of Swedish and Asian students need not necessarily coincide, and the field of exchange need not be the same.
3.2.2 Page 2 : Host Institution
In this page, provide information of host institution involved in the exchange project. The host institution shall be resided in 21 Asian countries.
● Address means a full detailed one which is not only for domestic post but also for overseas post. Do not write the post-office box number and City Name must be written.
● CONTACT PERSON means a regular staff of Asian university or institution which arranges the exchange and is willing to communicate with the Secretariat in such events as verifying application details, transferring fellowship, monitoring exchanges and providing further information on the status of the exchange.
● PERSON OF EXCHANGE shall be Asian student who will participate in the exchange.
● ECTS means a whole ECTS which an Asian student has earned since he/she entered the Asian university or institution.
● Asian student’s total credit should be converted into ECTS upon applicant’s school grading system.(Total credit should include credits earned until fall semester 2016)
● Click the box for Grade and find how many years (1-6) an Asian student has accomplished so far (including the spring semester 2017) at Host Institution. Master/Ph. D course student must click Graduate under numbers.
● Confirmation on Agreement with Host Institution (TO BE SIGNED BY CONTACT PERSON at the Swedish Home Institution): since the contact person in Swedish school is required to complete the application on behalf of two people who will participate in the exchange and the host institution (Asian school), he/she should confirm here by checking on “YES” that the contact person in the host institution also agrees with this submission of the application.
3.2.3 Page 3 : Description of Exchange Program
In this section, please describe the type, duration and purpose of exchange as instructed on the form.
● Type of exchange: please check appropriate boxes to specify whether students for exchange are in undergraduate or in graduate study.
● Duration of Exchange: As stipulated on the DUO-Sweden General Description, duration of DUO-Sweden Fellowship is standardized on a semester-basis. For students, 1 semester means 4 months.
● Purpose of Exchange: Please specify what the purpose of the exchange is. Also fill in how many credits (ECTS) that will be recognized by home or host institution.
N.B.: For each pair of an exchange, if the pair applies for Transfer for Credits, both students have to transfer their exchange credits to their originating institution after their exchange. If any of them will not transfer their exchange credits, those pair also needs to click for Others and specify in detail.
3.2.4 Page 4. : Exchange Details
● Under this heading, Swedish and Asian students’ class schedules should be listed during their exchanges periods. Details shall be elaborated as they will determine selection of application. Also intensive language course by students is not honored in this program.
N.B.: If courses listed on the application differ from the actual courses on the course certificate, Persons of Exchange or Contact Persons are responsible to inform the Secretariat for approval as soon as possible. If this procedure is not taken beforehand, fellowship award to both students is subject to cancellation and consequently refund. Forms can be downloaded from our website,www.asemduo.org.
● Confirmation and recognition of the study period abroad TO BE SIGNED BY CONTACT PERSON at the Swedish Home Institution (see information 3.2.2).
3.2.5 Page 5 : Certification of Authenticity
After completing all relevant items in appropriate manner on the entire field of application, please write the date and the names of contact person of Home institution and the President or Director of institution in the section of Certification of Authenticity.
Submit the form to the Secretariat by clicking “submit” button. The original printed version with the signatures will be requested if your project has been selected.
A Copy of Cooperation Agreement (valid one), the copies of passport and transcript of paired applicants should be attached. The preferred file formats of Cooperation Agreement and Passport for attachments are .jpg or .pdf.
3.3 After the submission: acknowledgement
The acknowledgement on the receipt of submission will be sent to the contact person in Swedish home institution by e-mail within 3 days after submission. If there is any application with incomplete or improper information, further information will be individually requested by the Secretariat.
The National University of Singapore is one of the biggest and most prestigious universities in Asia and the world. Being the oldest from Singapore and the one with the best educational system, the admission system is one of the hardest. Therefore, a perfect NUS personal statement is one of the main requirements in order to get an opportunity to apply for NUS University just like admission to UK universities.
A National University of Singapore personal statement is totally necessary if you want to be eligible to form part of the great and wonderful education system of Singapore. This system offers the best approaches for education and research in Asia and has achieved wonderful results in the many important rankings of the world.
More than 36.000 students from 100 different countries across the world attend yearly to this university, making it one of the most multicultural admission systems in the world, offering over 100 courses and careers in more than 30 different fields of study, from undergraduate to graduates studies.
So, if you want to form part of this wonderful educational system, you will have to write a wonderful NUS personal statement, so we’ve decided to make a list of the most important and necessary requirements plus some recommendations to achieve the best results from your NUS admission essay sample.
Why Is Singapore a Top Education Country
Boasting one of the biggest universities in Asia, Singapore thrives to be one of the countries in the world that achieve a broadening experience for students across the world to improve their skills in different fields and accomplished the best results in education, service, and research.
On the other hand, the education in Singapore has been ranked among the best in the world, thanks to the many benefits different universities in the country offer to the different studies from many nations across the world.
Thanks to this system, many universities like NUS, offers the best programs, careers, and courses with the many NUS international student opportunities. This has made of Singapore a top-notch quality education example in the world. Take a look at the next website from the Ministry of Education of Singapore which explains why the educational system in Singapore is top among the best in Asia.
What Makes NUS a Wonderful Option to Study Overseas?
Being one of the most active universities in Asia when it comes to research and universities with the most prestigious educational systems, NUS is a wonderful opportunity for students from all across the world to have a great opportunity to improve their skills and academic status.
Benefits from studying in NUS are these:
- The National University of Singapore is located in the City of Singapore, which is known for being one of the greatest cities in the world in many ways. International students who aspire and long for being able to study overseas in this wonderful city will have the best experience of their lives.
Take a look at this article from CNN that points out the best features of Singapore.
- Applying to NUS is also possible via scholarships and loans. Being an undergraduate, graduate or just any other career or course, you will be able to get the many different scholarship programs available in Singapore. These are:
- ANZ Singapore-New Zealand Scholarship Programme
- Research Scholarship for Italian Citizens
- DUO-Singapore Exchange Fellowship Awards
- NUS-UBC Foundation Student Exchange Award
- TF-NUS Learn Program & Award
- Singapore also boasts one of the best education systems in the world. As we’ve pointed it out before, NUS university can be named among the best-ranked universities in the world, due to the great achievements this country has accomplished in the many fields of research and technology innovations.
- A highly-overdeveloped country who has made his way in the world among the most innovative social and technological advancements in the world, with many of the best infrastructure and cultural achievements from this XXI century.
- Life in Singapore if way better than any other. Even so, you can be totally assured that you will be even able to study for a double degree. This happens because in Singapore Safety matters the most, where all laws are made to be followed correctly, making it one of the countries with the lowest crime rates in Asia. Plus boasting the best transportation systems in the world.
- The multicultural opportunities are powerful. Thanks to the huge diversity of this country, international students can be more than happy of being part of this wonderful educational system that will welcome them with the best environments and will eventually offer them a different perspective of culture and life.
- Social life and Entertainment are also a big part of Singapore, so you should be totally confident about studying in the NUS will offer one of the best experiences in your life. From shops to restaurants and wonderful clubs to even the greatest museums and natural recreations, Singapore will offer a once-in-a-lifetime experience for students from all over the world.
- Even though life costs a lot in Singapore, every student of NUS can be totally assured that every penny he spends in services and amenities will be totally worth it, as this city offers the best public services in the world, plus a wonderful quality of life that only Singapore can offer.
- English is the second language. However, international students from different countries will have the opportunity to talk English as this country’s second language is the Anglo-Saxon one. Even so, the official educational language of Singapore is English, making it a wonderful opportunity for those coming from English-speaking countries.
- The quality of education is later seen in the amount of renown a degree from NUS has. Studying in NUS international students will have the opportunity to enjoy from a highly renowned diploma from one of the most prestigious universities in the world.
- Thanks to the many achievements NUS has made in its educational system, having the name of this university on a curriculum can immensely increase the chances of getting employed by any company in the world.
- Along with Nanyang University, NUS is one of the greatest universities in the world and Asia. Even so, you can take a look at this ranking from Q’s World University Ranking, boasting NUS as the 12th best university in the world.
NUS International Students Entry Requirements
Even though one of the most important requirements to be accepted at NUS, is a wonderful NUS personal statement, there are many other requirements that are almost obligatory to comply with in order to get admitted as an international student in the National University of Singapore, one of the greatest in the world.
Entry requirements to apply to NUS:
- It is totally important that the students can validate their proficiency in English with an IELTS or TOEFL test. Even though there’s a standard in the test in order to acknowledge it as passed, NUS can be a little more demanding, asking for better grades.
- Having to attend and passing some interviews and many important qualitative tests according to the desired field of study is also one of the possible requirements depending on the exact university and college of preference
- It is important to have a clear health, financial, judicial and academic file, with no irregularities and problems in your native country.
- Even though NUS university offers great scholarships and loans for international students, there’s a high chance of being rejected for not complying with the minimum financial background required.
- There’s a high chance of being able to work part-time in Singapore as a student. However, this will need of the student to have a correct student VISA and a passport with no regularities in order to get more confidence from native employers.
- Among the different required documents there are:
- Birth Certificate
- Valid Passport
- Immigration Exemption
- Student’s pass or VISA
- Work Pass
- These documents need to be submitted as a digital copy of the closing period of registration.
- All documents should be totally legible. If the original documents are not in English, these will need to be translated in an accurate way along with the original photocopies.
- All these documents will need to be processed so it is very likely that the student won’t ever get them returned. Even so, applications that don’t comply with these requirements will be rejected.
- Writing a National University of Singapore personal statement is also one of the most common entry requirements. This NUS personal statement example is one of the most important details to take into account when applying to NUS.
If you want to know more about the Entry requirements that are obligatory to comply with in order to send an application to NUS – you can take a look at the following website with the graduate admissions requirements for NUS.
Image credit: NUS
How to Write an NUS Personal Statement to Get the Best Results
If you want an opportunity to be able to study overseas in Singapore, you will have to write a professional NUS personal statement that makes the admission committee confident on their decision, but to do this you will have to take a look at our NUS admission essay sample and tips on how to write a perfect personal statement.
Image credit: NUS
This is what you have to include in your National University of Singapore personal statement:
- The first step to writing a perfect NUS personal statement example is to point out all previous experience in the field of the desired career. Even so, all previous achievements in this field plus any important acquired knowledge during the practice of the desired career will be noted.
- All relevant experience related to the desired field of study. This experience can be courses taken, any previous work, achievements as a student and any competition or challenge that has been accomplished related to the field.
- Any current interest related to the field is also important. Depending on the desired career, the student can also have any other important thought in mind that will make the difference when it comes to studying.
- Career goals and long-term achievements are also important when it comes to write and define personal statement. This part will tell the admission committee how important it is for the student to achieve a great diploma from of the best universities in the world. Even so, pointing out why NUS is such a wonderful university and why the student decided to apply there is a great way to end or to start the statement.
NUS International Students Opportunity
As you’ve already taken a look at this article, we are totally assured that you may already know why is NUS such a wonderful opportunity for international students who want to study overseas. Even so, we have even talked about the requirements and most important recommendations on writing a NUS personal statement in order to get admitted.